Sunday, May 3, 2009

Helping You Burn
That Midnight Oil

Yo, yo, yo Qwantums back on the mix after quite some time and he’s got a couple of bangers for you all. Although I have been out of the 317 loop for a bit I still got a couple gems that will vindicate my absence. School is finished for now, work and the summer semester are about to begin, which I have mixed feelings about but I am sure I will get over them. Anyways enough of the chitter chatter, it is time to pony up and get this show on the road.

First off, we got this nuck Feadz from France (hit up his MySpace to check out some sample tracks from his new album) doing some killer stuff. Maybe I am late to the game but I haven’t come across this guy before so check these bad boys out and show him some love. These tracks have a real midnight sound to them. I don’t really know any other way to describe it. They have sort of an end-of-the-night feel in which all you want is to go out strong and split some hardwood before it is time to drag your ass home. Anyways, I yammer, here are the tracks for you to enjoy (especially the Numanoid track).



Man I wasn’t going to throw up this these remixes but I cannot resist now after listening to them again. These are two bangers that you guys must check out. Feadz rips on both these remixes; both Modeselektor and Boys Noize should be proud and frankly, amazed. Enjoy.

I know a thing or two about history. The rise and fall of the Roman Empire, colonization, the French Revolution … but what I didn’t know is that Napoleon never sleeps. This group is interesting; they have got a real disco feel to them, which is nice and light. Check out their MySpace for some more tunes. I have throw up these two in hopes to spark some interest. Check these guys out, they’ve got a little bit of flow. Enjoy.


These are a couple that I thought I would throw in the mix, nothing interesting to note, or say. Just check it out. Hope you dig.


Now for a little something to help burn that midnight oil …

Frank Pleyer, well I haven’t been able to find much information on the man, but my friends this is one of the smoothest tracks I have ever heard. The beautiful sound of the Fender Rhodes electric piano, coupled with the thick repeating fretless bass line, and scantily clad drum line … dope. Wait for it, yea … there are horns. This track defines slower burner for me. Dynamically, this track doesn’t go too far off course, coming back to that original motif again and again, but wow ladies and gentlemen, you can’t ask for more. This is soul/jazz at some of its instrumental fineness without even diverging to far from the original lick. I am sure this track has been sampled before, I have haven’t heard the tune but please let me know if you have come across it. To be honest, it is 3 in the morning and I have had this track on repeat for about 20 minutes now, I can’t over it. When that interlude comes up wait for the drum fill, and then the horns will take over the bass line just for a second, ugh just kills me. Smooth, smooth, smooth, this is baby making music. Please enjoy this one; I don’t think I will come across one like this for some time.


If you dig on the Pleyer track, peep this one too … not as smooth but has got a lovely bass line and some playful piano. At about 0:50, the guitar hoops in for its appearance and kills it. Why does no one make music like this anymore?


LETS GO CHI TOWN
Keep it Gully Kids,
Qwantum

2 comments: